Village Score 8.5/10
Looking for a luxury home in a quiet setting that’s close to everything you could possible need? Then Mineola is the place for you. Located south of the QEW, just north of Port Credit, Mineola is the hottest destination for wealthy families in Mississauga. Developed mostly between 1940-1960, this neighbourhood is quiet and very exclusive. West Mineola is private enclave, tucked away in a peaceful wooded corner beside the river; it is unlike any other area of the West GTA. East Mineola was built more like a suburban subdivision, and though not quite as prestigious as Mineola West, it’s location is still in very high demand and allows the residents to enjoy all the amenities that Mineola has to offer.
Mineola Real Estate Info
There are two distinct areas of Mineola, Mineola East and Mineola West. The west is a small enclave that hugs the east side of the Credit River. This area is characterized by trees, trees and more trees. Quiet and exclusive, if you are looking for a stately castle in a wooded setting, Mineola West is for you. Prices average between $2 to $3 million dollars and up for custom builds.
In Mineola East there is more of a mix. You will find custom build homes, as well family suburban homes the further east towards Cawthra. More affordable (when compared to Mineola West) this area has some smaller lots, fewer trees and standard, builder designed streets. Due to its location, prices are still high, but achievable for upwardly mobile families, and also attractive to investors looking to do renovations.
Your Typical Neighbour in Mineola
Generally speaking, you will find 2 major types of neighbour in Mineola. First are long time residents who have lived there for decades. Unlike the majority of Mississauga, Mineola is predominantly Canadian, with less visible minorities then anywhere else in the city. The second type is wealthy families. Along with house prices, the average income in Mineola is significantly higher than the city of Mississauga average. Homes are very well kept and curb appeal is important. Your neighbours also know they live in Mineola so if you are looking for prestige, you’re in good company.
Score Factor 1 : Housing Characteristics
Mineola has a very high percentage of detached single family homes. Regardless of what type of house you are looking for, you’ll pay a premium in Mineola. Below are the general categories of homes you will encounter while looking for a home in Mineola
Custom Dream Homes
- There are many styles, although French country with modern materials is popular among the recent builds
- These aren’t the biggest custom homes in the city, you will find bigger along Mississauga Road and in Gordon Woods, but the location of Mineola has very high value
- There was much effort made to build around the old trees, giving the area a mature look a feel despite the newness of the homes
- Most lots are very private and some are up to 200 feet deep
- A favorite destination of high end buyers from Toronto looking for a special home in the ‘burbs’. With the Port Credit GO Train, there is quick access to downtown Toronto
Post War Suburban Family Homes
- There is a high proportion of these smaller family homes in East Mineola, built in the 60’s and 70’s
- Due to the age, the lots are still a decent size, the trees are nice, but it certainly doesn’t look like a wooded forest like Mineola West
- Mineola East is a great opportunity to buy a family home in Mineola without the extremely high price (though still very expensive for the size of home you are getting because it its location)
Small Homes and Cottages
- Mineola still has a number of smaller homes and cottages spread out through the neighbourhood
- These are a favourite of investors and developers
- Lot value- when you buy these homes you are buying the lot. When these homes sell usually the bulldozer is not far behind
- Mineola is an exclusive area, it has close access to the historic Village of Port Credit so you can have your quiet castle in the forest and walk to shops and entertainment
- The lots are excellent. When you buy a home in Mineola you don’t just buy the house, you buy the trees, the neighbourhood and the ambiance.
- Mineola is a high demand area, so there is good opportunity to upgrade and see a return on investment
- Quiet and exclusive- depending on where you live you’ll have to drive to the corner store.
- Construction. The real estate boom of the past 10 years has had a bigger impact on Mineola than any other area in Mississauga. It seems you can’t go down a street without seeing some sort of renovation or large scale construction project. If you live next to a smaller home then chances are you can expect a tear down at some point in the future
Score Factor 2: Quality & Ranking of Schools
- Kenollie public school, located in Mineola West is one of the best in all of Mississauga. EQAO scores are significantly higher in this school than city averages
- Mineola Public school is also an above average grade school.
- Both Catholic Grade schools, St. Dominic & St. Timothy are excellent schools that score well on EQAO
- While the grade schools in Mineola are top notch, both Port Credit SS and St. Paul Catholic SS are nothing spectacular in terms of ranking
- This area has a number of private schools which is a viable option for parents looking for a top notch education
Score Factor 3: Community “Vibe” and Amenities
- You can walk to Port Credit and take advantage of shops, restaurants and lifestyle and go home to your quiet and private home
- Port Credit Go Train means you can be in downtown Toronto in 20 minutes for work or a night on the town
- A portion of Mineola flanks the railroad tracks in the south and the QEW in the north, which is less desirable and does not hold the same value
Score Factor 4: Overall Affordability & Value
Mineola is one of the most expensive neighbourhoods in all of Mississauga, as the average family does not have $2 million plus to spend. However this is part of the attraction; if you do have this kind of money to spend, there is an elite and exclusive feeling that is only available to the few.
Though the price is high, the value is higher. This is one of the most prestigious areas west of Toronto, let alone Mississauga. The area is comparable to Eastlake in Oakville, but with the bonus of being much closer to Toronto and Mineola is tucked along the credit river in a way that few are even aware of the area, giving it an exclusive and private feel. The character homes, the winding streets, the mature trees and proximity to the lakeshore all offer a wonderful environment to live. The only reason Mineola did not receive top marks is because the schools are not top ranking, but many families in the area send their children to private school. The lifestyle of Mineola is definitely reserved for an elite few.
Disclosure Statement: Although the Information displayed is believed to be accurate, no warranties or representations are made of any kind.
Map Images and Information: All Street Views are provided by Google Maps of Google Incorporated. This website makes no claims to the ownership or accuracy of the information provided through Google Maps or the Google Corporation. Inquiries or further information about any of the streetviews linked on this website, should be directed to www.google.com and/or the Google Corporation.